Frequently Asked Questions

Why Pro TEFL?

At Pro TEFL we understand what schools are looking for in a teacher. Because our 120-hour accredited course and our three-day classroom experience are designed with your employment in mind, you can be confident that you’ll be equipped to teach English in Thailand – or anywhere else for that matter.

Pro TEFL allows you to build your own TEFL course that suits you best by choosing what options are most important to you. Doing this allws you to customize both your training and experience to suit your budget.

We’re also proud of our all-inclusive, premium course offering which gives you unrivalled value for money. In addition to the TEFL certification program, you get resort accommodation, sightseeing tours, trekking, airport pick-up, transportation, volunteer teaching opportunities – and much more – in one economical fee. We aren’t shy to say that you get all of this for about the same price that other companies are asking for only a seat in the classroom!

But regardless of which TEFL package you choose, you can have peace of mind with Pro TEFL. Our professional associations and accreditations are noteworthy, and we’re there to support you through each step of the process – even after you’ve graduated.

Where can I work with an Entrust/Pro TEFL certificate?

An Entrust/Pro TEFL certificate allows you to teach English as a foreign language practically anywhere in the world! If you want to teach English in Thailand, you’ll be happy to know that we are recognized by the Ministry of Labor.

While all countries have their own set of rules, regulations and requirements concerning the employment of foreign labor, we are recognized in many countries around the globe. This is helped by our professional associations. Entrust TEFL is an institutional member of IATEFL (International Association of Teaching English as a Foreign Language), and we are validated externally by leading experts in the field of ESL. This external validation keeps our TEFL course material and requirements on par with international standards.

That said, we do recommend that if you know where you’d ultimately like to teach, that you do your homework about that country’s employment requirements. Some countries may require an additional or higher qualification (like a degree), along with your Entrust/Pro TEFL Certificate. They may also have age and ethnicity requirements in order to legally employ you.

We currently have over 4,800 Entrust TEFL course graduates working in Thailand, Dubai, Hungry, Spain, Saudi Arabia, China, South Korea and across the globe.

Why Thailand?

We have to smile when we get asked this question, because we know from experience that once you get here, you won’t be able to imagine not taking a TEFL course in Thailand!

Thailand is a gateway to Asia – the perfect mixture of modern, western comforts and authentic, cultural experiences. Importantly, Thailand is full of opportunities for English teachers. Jobs abound and the cost of living is low, giving you the opportunity to travel and explore, or use your savings as you see fit. And, Thailand offers you unimaginable diversity, divine cuisine and friendly locals.

Do I need to have teaching experience to teach in Thailand?

No, you do not need to have previous teaching experience, but a definite interest in this field goes without saying. Through our TEFL program, you’ll receive hands-on training through our 120-hour course, be immersed in the Thai culture while being supported by our staff, learn basic Thai conversational skills, and see your confidence grow through teaching observation and practice at real schools.

If you do have teaching experience or certification; a degree in Education, English, Math or Science; and other transferable skills – then we encourage you to apply as well. These are sought after by Thai schools.

Can I teach in a city of my choice?

The final hiring decision is made by your prospective employer and their individual needs and requirements, not Entrust/Pro TEFL. You’ll be able to decide whether to accept a job position or not, based on the openings available balanced with your preferred teaching location. TEFL graduates will tell you that flexibility is key to having an enjoyable experience.

That said, early applications have a better chance of getting their preferred location, but keep in mind that we can’t guarantee that we’ll be able to honor your request. Of course, if you are the adventurous sort, you are more than welcome to use your TEFL qualification to find your own employment in the city of your choice.

What if I only want to teach for a short period of time?

Most schools or recruiting agencies will, on average, ask you to sign a four-month contract. Most TEFL course graduates work as teachers for at least a year. Many stay in Thailand for much longer, some choosing only to work on a short-term basis at a school or language school during peak periods.

How soon should I expect to be placed?

You should expect to be getting job offers within your first week of class. Once your CVs/resumes are handed in to our recruitment division, they start contacting employers on your behalf. We provide you with an information sheet on each teaching opportunity so that you can make an informed decision about the school where you’d like to teach.

What should I bring?

The first few months in Thailand are an adventure in everything new – a new culture, new customs, new traditions, new surroundings, new people. Because of this, it’s always helpful to have a few familiar things handy to ground you. So pack that family photo, or bring that special trinket. In general though, we recommend packing light, because almost everything can be purchased quite inexpensively in Thailand.Here is our list of recommended items:

  • Smart attire to wear for interviews, your practical teaching hours during our TEFL course, and for teaching.
  • A phrase book so that you can begin to get familiar with simple local phrases.
  • 50,000 – 60,000 Thai baht for you to use until you finish the TEFL course and start earning a salary. You can place it your Thai bank account or simply wire funds to your Thai account once you get here.
  • Any original diploma or degree certificates, if you have them. The original documents are required in order to get a work permit.
  • A clean police clearance certificate is required by Thai labor regulations in order to obtain a work permit in Thailand. This clearance can easily be obtained from your local police department; it’s most convenient if brought with you. It can also be obtained once you’re in Thailand, but this takes at least three weeks and is not free.
  • A camera – trust us, you’ll want to take pictures of all the wonderful places and things you’ll experience during the Entrust TEFL course and the rest of your time in Thailand.
  • A good pair of hiking shoes will come in handy for our explorations through the Thai mountains.
  • Moisture-wicking clothes or clothes made from natural fibres – Thailand is very hot and humid.

What kind of visa do I need to teach in Thailand?

You would need a Non-immigrant visa to obtain a work permit to work legally in Thailand. If you are from one of the native English speaking countries considered by Thailand (United States of America, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand) then we can send you a sponsorship letter to arrive in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa. Once you have graduated the TEFL course and been placed with a school, your employer will start your work permit process.

If you are not from one of the above Native English speaking countries considered by Thailand, then we recommend you to arrive on a single or double entry tourist visa to attend the TEFL course. Once you have graduated the TEFL course and been placed with a school, your employer will supply you with a non-immigrant visa sponsorship package to obtain a non-immigrant visa, then start your work permit process.

Work permits and visas with a degree vs non degree

If you have a degree:

If you are a holder of a degree in any field you will have no problem obtaining a work permit and a non-Immigrant one-year visa. The process is relatively straightforward; it may take up to three months to obtain your work permit as most schools have 90 day probation periods.

The process has three steps:

1) The school will want the originals of your degree and any other educational documents in order to prepare your visa sponsorship documentation. Once the sponsorship package is completed, the school will ask you to do a visa run to obtain your 90-day Non-Immigrant B visa. You can do the visa trip by yourself or elect to hire a company to do it for you as Thai Visa Service, but there are many such comapnies to choose from in your local area.

2) Next, you’ll cross the border into a neighboring country to drop off your documents at the Thai Embassy. The Thai Embassy will collect the documents in the morning before lunch; you may return the next day after lunch to retrieve them. Keep in mind that the officer will write the name of your school on your visa.

3) Once you return to your school, you’ll need to give your passport to the school so they can start the work permit process. (They’ll take just a copy). Once the work permit is completed you’ll need to go to the local Ministry of Labor and Immigration to have your passport and work permit stamped for one year. After that, you can continue to stay in Thailand simply by extending your visa every year in the country.

If you don’t have a degree:

If you do not hold a degree in any field, the process is a little more costly and time-consuming. There are various options, depending on the school and the local circumstances:

1) Some schools are able to provide you with a visa and work permit, stating “special circumstances” to the Ministry of Labor. This is usually only approved for rural areas where it is hard to obtain a Native English Teacher. This is called an “Exemption Letter”

2) You may obtain a non-immigrant visa and work permit through a legal office or a foundation which will allow you to work legally within the scope of your employment.

3) Working on a tourist visa is not legal nor recommended. In most cases you will be working full-time hours and getting paid as a full-time employee, but be classified as part-time because you don’t have a degree. By being a part-time employee, the school is not compelled to file your paperwork with the Ministry of Labor. This in turn means that you won’t get a visa or work permit through the school. The advantage of this is that you have no tax obligations, but the downside is that you’ll need to leave the country every 90 days to obtain another entry visa.

4) Working on an ED Visa (Student Visa) is not legal nor recommended. In most cases you will be working full-time hours and getting paid as a full-time employee, but be classified as part-time because you don’t have a degree. By being a part-time employee, the school is not compelled to file your paperwork with the Ministry of Labor. This in turn means that you won’t get a visa or work permit through the school. The advantage to of this visa is that you will not have any tax obligations and you are able to stay in Thailand for up to 3 years not having to leave the country every 90 days.

How do I get a Thai bank account?

A Thai bank account is wonderfully convenient, because it enables you to wire funds directly from your home country, while providing the ease of online banking and the convenience of a debit card. Gone are traveller’s cheques and the cost of exchanging currency every other day. And, your ATM/debit card will work worldwide.